“Adults should sleep 7 or more hours per night on a regular basis to promote optimal health.
Sleeping less than 7 hours per night on a regular basis is associated with adverse health outcomes, including weight gain and obesity, diabetes, hypertension, heart disease and stroke, depression, and increased risk of death. Sleeping less than 7 hours per night is also associated with impaired immune function, increased pain, impaired performance, increased errors, and greater risk of accidents.
- Growth and repair of muscles and tissue
- Hormones for growth and repair are released
- Hunger hormones are suppressed (which helps you eat less the next day)
- Memory integration (better memory recall)
- Waste is flushed from the brain (basically, your brain detoxes itself)
- Repair and growth of brain cells